Wednesday, January 26, 2011

There Are Simply Way Too Many of Us.

Peter Coopers, that is.

Exhibit A) There's a village in New York named after us.

Exhibit B) A Google search reveals 241,000 entries.

Exhibit C) After receiving several mysterious wrong numbers on my mobile phone, a little bit of research uncovered another Peter Cooper with the exact same mobile number as me, except the last two digits were reversed. I'm sure he thinks there are way too many of us too.

Now, this preponderance of Peter Coopers has never bothered me before. But now that I'm thinking about registering a domain name and perhaps getting something resembling a "proper" author website set up, I find that the only peter.cooper domain names still available are way too obscure for anyone to ever find. So, unless I decide on a Fiji extension, my only option is to register with something other than my name.

I'm told the resemblance is uncanny.

Alas, my parents never gave me a middle name. I've tossed around the idea of inventing one, just for writing, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I think I'd end up looking at the name on the side of a book and thinking it's not really me, because it's not the name my parents gave me. Deep, perhaps, but that's the way it is.

So I have to keep thinking about it, and checking out what other authors have done with their websites. Many of them are blessed with unique names, though I'm fairly certain most of them secretly wish they had a village in New York named after them too.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, a pseudonym..... Immediately, the only one that comes to mind is Norah Roberts writing as J. D. Robb. Although, I am sure there are many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There certainly are a lot of them around. Just glancing around at my own bookshelf I can see JK Rowling (who invented the middle name Kathleen), Lee Child, Lian Hearn, Dr. Seuss (not a doctor of anything), DM Cornish (who also doesn't have a middle name) and Jack Higgins. It obviously works for them but it just doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a quandry. Whatever you decide, don't check to see if the domain name is available until you're actually buying it. I didn't take this advice, and checked www.kellybryson, and then got distracted and didn't try to buy it until morning. Someone had bought it. Apparently there are programs that watch these searches and buy domains so they can make a quick buck. Lucky for me, I have a middle name, so I got kellykbryson, and I'm okay.

    I don't know what to do if there are so many of you. www.therealpetercooper.com?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting about people buying domain names. I thought it was illegal to cyber-squat? Maybe it's just too difficult to enforce.

    Like the realpetercooper suggestion! Makes me think of that Eminem song :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely you are correct. There are simply way too many of us. Good work. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete